As the mobile app market continues to grow, more app businesses are turning to subscription models to generate revenue and build sustainable businesses. However, running a successful subscription app is no easy feat. In addition to creating engaging content and delivering a seamless user experience, app marketers must constantly monitor and improve key metrics like user retention, conversion rates, churn, and others. That's where ChatGPT comes in.
In this article, we'll explore how app marketers can improve key metrics for subscription apps with 10 ChatGPT prompts.
What are subscription apps?
Let's explore subscription apps a bit, so we're all on the same page. A subscription app is a type of mobile application that requires users to pay a fee in order to access its content or services. Users often come into the subscription app via a free trial and then can consume content at several different price points. In the app itself, there can be upsell from less expensive to more expensive plans, as well as add-on one-time purchases.
Subscription apps have become increasingly popular in recent years as more people have started using mobile devices for everyday tasks. By charging a subscription fee, subscription-based app companies generate a reliable source of income and provide ongoing support and updates for their users.
The most popular examples of subscription apps include streaming services like Netflix, music services like Spotify, and productivity apps like Evernote.
What metrics should you track for subscription apps?
To achieve success in your subscription app's journey, it's crucial to define and analyze the right metrics that indicate positive growth or potential challenges. Based on App Radar’s experience, we would fall success factors into four categories:
- Return on ad spend (ROAS)
- Customer acquisition cost (CAC)
- Customer lifetime value (cLTV)
- Monthly recurring revenue (MRR)
- Annualized Customer Value (ACV)
- Trial Start Rate & Trial Conversions
- Subscription retention
- User journey
- Successfully solved support cases
- Net Promoter Score (NPS)
By tracking and analyzing these metrics for subscription apps, your team can stay informed about your app's growth and progress. However, with ChatGPT you even can improve each of the metrics. Let’s dive deeper into each of the metrics and see how new technology can help.
How to improve acquisition metrics for subscription apps with ChatGPT
Improving acquisition metrics is critical for any subscription app looking to grow its user base and generate more revenue. There are different ways how marketers can improve the key acquisition metrics, but let’s see how ChatGPT can assist here.
To know how your acquisition numbers are growing, you need to take a look at how many downloads your app has across the different app marketplace (App Store, Play Store,etc.). Here are some ways how ChatGPT can help improve downloads for subscription apps:
- Optimizing app store listings: you can optimize your app's store listings with ChatGPT by getting recommendations for improving your app's title, description, keywords, and screenshots. By optimizing your app store listings, you can increase your app's visibility and attract more downloads.
- Creating app marketing strategy: ChatGPT can help identify the main marketing channels for a specific app audience. Moreover, the tool can even suggest influencers who are most likely to promote a subscription app to their followers.
- Behavioral analysis: with OpenAI you can analyze user behavior to identify patterns and trends that can help improve the user experience. By understanding user behavior and needs, app marketers can optimize their app's store listing, which can lead to increased downloads.
Suggested prompt for improving subscription app downloads:
[Act like a mobile app owner that wants to work on app marketing of his subscription app. I have a subscription app that focuses on [app use case] and I would like to identify marketing channels for my subscription app target audience. Provide me the list of marketing channels where I can reach my target audience.]
Return on ad spend (ROAS) & Customer acquisition cost (CAC)
For paid acquisition, you need to keep an eye on the return on ad spend (ROAS) and Customer acquisition cost (CAC). Keep in mind that you need to keep ROAS stable or increase it as ad campaigns continue to perform or become more effective. Here are some ideas on how ChatGPT can assist you with it:
- Audience targeting: easily analyze the user data of your subscription app with ChatGPT. AI is able to identify the characteristics of the most engaged and valuable subscribers. This information can then be used to target your advertising efforts towards similar demographics and interests.
- Ad copy and creative optimization: get assistance from OpenAI to generate effective ad copy and creatives that resonates with your app's target audience. By analyzing the performance of your previous ads, ChatGPT can provide insights and suggestions on how to improve your ads to drive more conversions.
- A/B testing: designing and running A/B tests for your ad campaigns can be done much quicker with the support of ChatGPT. By testing different ad copy, creative, targeting, and other variables, you can identify the most effective combinations that drive the highest ROAS.
Suggested prompt for improving ROAS for the subscription app:
[Act like an app marketer who wants to test different [name testing element, for example, app name] for his subscription app. Write 10 [testing element] for my ‘[app name]’ [app category] app.]
Customer lifetime value (cLTV)
Customer lifetime value (CLTV) is a measure of how much each customer is worth to the business. It’s calculated by taking the average revenue per period of time per customer (e.g. monthly subscription cost) multiplied by how long users stay subscribed. To optimize cLTV, you can try out these ChatGPT ideas:
- Personalization: ChatGPT is able to analyze your user data to provide personalized recommendations and experiences to each user. By tailoring your app to the individual preferences and behaviors of each user, you can increase engagement and loyalty, leading to higher cLTV.
- Upselling and cross-selling: with analyzing user data, OpenAI can identify opportunities for upselling or cross-selling to existing customers. By recommending complementary or higher-tier subscription plans to users who are likely to be interested, you can increase their lifetime value.
- Customer feedback analysis: get support from AI to analyze customer feedback and reviews to identify common issues or pain points that are affecting customer satisfaction and retention. By addressing these issues, you can improve the customer experience and increase cLTV.
Suggested prompt for improving cLTV for the subscription app:
[Act like a mobile app marketer that wants to work on user engagement for subscription apps with a focus on [app use case]. Give me a list of ideas on how to offer personalized user experience to new app users of my subscription app.]
Discover What App Users Want 10x Faster with AI Review Summaries
Save time reading tons of reviews word by word. Get weekly or monthly reports per any app on a global scale.Learn more
How to improve growth metrics for subscription apps with ChatGPT
Growth metrics are usually reflected in the app revenue, therefore it is important to track the number of trials started, MRR, ACV. However, if your tracking doesn’t show the desirable numbers, that is the time to think about what to do to improve those metrics. Let’s have a look how at ChatGPT prompts that will help you to grow your subscription app.
Monthly recurring revenue (MRR)
MRR is commonly used to present a picture of the subscription-based company’s overall health. In fact, it is one of the most important metrics for subscription app businesses. If your MRR is going down, try to use the following ChatGPT suggestions:
- Pricing optimization: ChatGPT can analyze your user data and industry benchmarks to determine the optimal pricing strategy for your app's subscription plans. By optimizing your pricing structure to increase value for users, you can improve MRR.
- Retention and engagement: OpenAI is capable to suggest ideas for at-risk users and provide targeted interventions to retain them. By keeping existing subscribers engaged and satisfied, you can reduce churn and increase their monthly recurring revenue.
- Predictive analytics: trained AI chatbot is able to analyze historical data on your app's user behavior and subscription conversions to make predictions about future performance. This information can be used to identify users with high potential for increased MRR and to make smarter decisions about how to allocate your resources to maximize revenue.
Suggested prompt for increasing subscription app MRR:
[Act like a mobile app marketer that wants to optimize its subscription app for user retention. I want to create a user retention strategy that I can implement. Give me a list of tactics that I can use to create an effective user retention strategy for a subscription app that focuses on [app use case].]
Annualized Customer Value (ACV)
ACV is a measure of a single account’s revenue per year. Unlike MRR, it includes any one-time purchases that the customer may have made that year. To improve this metric, you can use ChatGPT in the following way:
- Churn prediction and prevention: OpenAI is also competent to analyze user behavior and subscription data to identify users who are likely to churn and provide targeted interventions to prevent them from leaving. By reducing churn and retaining customers, you can increase their MRR and ACV.
- Value-based pricing: the AI chatbot is able to determine the optimal pricing strategy for your app's subscription plans based on the value they provide to users. By aligning your pricing with the perceived value of your app, you can increase MRR and ACV.
Suggested prompt for improving ACV:
[Act like a mobile app marketer that wants to increase the revenue for a subscription app that focuses on [app use case]. Provide me with ideas on how I can test the pricing strategy of my subscription app.]
Trial Start Rate & Trial Conversions
Many subscription apps offer a free trial to let customers “try before they buy”. The rate at which users start a trial and the conversion rate from trials to paid subscriptions gives valuable insights into the effectiveness of your freemium strategy. If you need to improve the trials number and conversion, think about this ChatGPT help:
- Personalized messages: OpenAI is able to advise you with a list of personalized message ideas to try out in your app. By tailoring your app to the individual preferences and behaviors of each user during the trial period, you can increase engagement and conversion rates.
- A/B testing: you can get AI-based brainstormed ideas for A/B tests to optimize your app's trial period. By experimenting with different trial lengths, trial offers, and onboarding experiences, you can identify the most effective approach to convert users to paying subscribers.
- In-app messaging: ChatGPT can design and implement in-app messaging that guides users through the trial period and encourage them to become paying subscribers. By providing helpful tips and nudges, you can improve user engagement and increase conversion rates.
Suggested prompt for increasing subscription app trials:
[Write [amount] personalized push notifications for my subscription app users to encourage them to start a trial.]
Want discover more prompts for your app marketing?
We created and tested 50 uniques ChatGPT prompts to enhance your app marketing efforts.Download for free now
How to improve retention metrics for subscription apps with ChatGPT
Retention metrics show app marketers how engaged their paying users are. It is crucial to keep retention metrics high and identify why people churn. Knowing that helps app marketers to react in time and keep the revenue of the company stable. ChatGPT can become a handy tool to brainstorm ideas on how to keep users and prevent churn.
Subscription retention & Churn
Retaining subscribers is the key to building a great subscription business, so it’s an important metric to watch closely. Ideally, the rate of churn will decrease over time for any given cohort. In other words, the longer a customer is subscribed, the more likely they will stay subscribed. However, to make users your loyal customer, you need to have some strategies in place and ChatGPT can help you with it:
- Incentives and rewards: with the support of ChatGPT you are able to design and implement rewards and incentive programs to encourage subscribers to continue their subscriptions. By offering rewards for specific behaviors, such as renewing their subscription early or upgrading to a higher-tier subscription, you can encourage subscribers to continue using your app.
- User feedback: ChatGPT can be helpful with collecting and analyzing user feedback to identify pain points and areas for improvement in your app. By listening to subscriber feedback and making improvements based on it, you can increase user satisfaction and retention.
- Churn prediction: ChatGPT is able to predict when a subscriber is likely to churn and provide targeted interventions to prevent it. By analyzing user behavior and engagement data, you can identify subscribers who are at risk of churning and intervene with targeted offers or engagement tactics to retain them.
Suggested prompt for decreasing churn :
[Act like a product owner and come up with ideas that help to decrease the churn rate of my subscription app that helps users with [use case of the app].]
To help understand why your overall retention numbers are changing, it’s important to map out critical user journeys. In this way, it can help you identify at-risk users and target them with re-engagement campaigns. ChatGPT can provide you with different ideas in mapping critical user journeys, but also help you with onboarding ideas:
- Personalized user journey: tailoring the user journey to the individual preferences and behaviors of each user can be much easier with the assistance of AI. By providing a personalized experience to each user, you can increase engagement and loyalty, leading to an improved user journey.
- User onboarding: ChatGPT can help you design and implement a smooth and effective onboarding process for new users. By guiding new users through the initial steps of using your app and providing them with clear instructions and assistance, you can increase the likelihood of them becoming paying subscribers.
- Content personalization: with the use of a chatbot, you can get personalize the app content and recommendations that users receive based on their interests and behaviors. By providing content that is tailored to each user, you can increase engagement and loyalty, leading to an improved user journey.
Suggested prompt for improving the user journey of the subscription app:
[Act like a product owner and come up with ideas that help to onboard users of subscription app that focuses on [app use case].]
How to improve support metrics for subscription apps with ChatGPT
The support team of the subscription app needs to be prepared to answer any questions that users may have. By tracking the quality of your customer experience, you can prevent customers from leaving due to a lack of support. Let’s see how ChatGPT can help to keep these support metrics on its top.
Successfully solved support cases
It is beneficial to monitor the amount of support cases opened over a period of time, as well as the percentage of those resolved successfully. However, focusing on resolving user requests is the main target for customer success. As we all know that it’s not always easy to find the right words to handle certain emotional requests, ChatGPT can assist you here with personalized messages and even more.
- Automated responses: you can set up automated responses to common support issues in a couple of minutes with ChatGPT help. By automating responses to common issues, you can reduce response time and improve the success rate of support cases.
- Personalized support: OpenAI is able to assist you in providing personalized support to users. By tailoring support responses to the individual needs and preferences of each user, you can increase the success rate of support cases and improve user satisfaction and loyalty.
- Sentiment analysis: ChatGPT can help you analyze user sentiment in support cases to identify areas for improvement in the support process. By analyzing user sentiment, you can identify pain points and areas for improvement in the support process, which can lead to improved success rates in the future.
Suggested prompt for increasing successfully solved support cases:
[Act like an app support specialist who needs successfully resolve a user's request. Here is a user request: [insert user request].]
Net Promoter Score (NPS)
Net Promoter Score is a measure of how many users would recommend the app to others. Higher numbers indicate greater customer satisfaction and more referrals, while lower numbers indicate there is work to be done. However, designing the right question for the survey might be the most challenging part. With the help of ChatGPT, you can brainstorm different ideas on how to increase your net promoter score and create a perfect questionnaire for the survey:
- NPS surveys: creating NPS surveys for users at regular intervals, such as after a new feature is released or after a customer service interaction is a good task for OpenAI. This can help you gather more data on customer satisfaction and identify areas for improvement.
- Feedback analysis: get analyzed feedback from users and identify common themes and trends with help of ChatGPT. By identifying common issues, you can prioritize improvements that will have the most impact on customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Social listening: Ai-based chatbot is able to monitor social media and other online platforms to track what users are saying about your subscription app. By monitoring social media, you can identify areas for improvement and engage with users to improve customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Suggested prompt for improving NPS:
[Act like an app marketer who needs to design an NPS survey for a subscription app that focuses on [ app use case]. Please provide me with a list of 10 questions for the NPS survey.]
Improving key metrics for subscription apps can be a challenging task that requires a deep understanding of user behavior and preferences. However, by leveraging the power of ChatGPT, app marketers can gain valuable insights and recommendations that can help them improve customer acquisition, retention, and satisfaction.
By brainstorming acquisition channels, creating personalized messages, analyzing user feedback, and monitoring social media, app developers and marketers can identify areas for improvement and take proactive steps to drive growth and success. Try the suggested prompts to improve the key metrics of your subscription app.