Modifications & familiar Keywords
Featured Image, Hero Image
The feature graphic area is a Google Play Store specific powerful tool to attract users. It is required together with a promo graphic in order to get featured anywhere within Google Play. Feature graphics, promo videos and screenshots (in summary called visuals) are often overlooked app marketing tools. They communicate more than just how the app looks. Visuals, and especially feature graphic, express the app brand and can increase organic install rate.
Optionally, the feature graphic area could also include a short video if a promo video was added. Then a play button will overlay the feature graphic, so users can watch the video directly within the store listing. Anyway, it is displayed at the top of the app page.
The use of preview videos as feature graphic especially is suitable for games. With the help of featured promo videos, you can demonstrate any game play, characters and their personalities.
Feature Graphic Requirements
Following requirements apply for Google Play feature graphic:
- JPEG or 24-bit PNG (no alpha)
- Dimensions: 1024 x 500 px
- Promo video: 30-15 seconds length
Design Guidelines for Feature Graphic on Google Play
Feature Graphics, that do a great job highlighting your app, require special design considerations when creating. For well-designed featured images, you should read the following important tips for creating and using feature graphics on app pages:
- Any copy or important visual information should be put near the borders of the asset
- Avoid redundant text and reduce copy to your app name and probably some descriptive words
- Center align your logo in the vertical and horizontal center of the frame
- Use large font sizes, if you add text on your feature image
- Notice that your graphic may be displayed alone with the app icon
- Do not overload the feature graphic with details but keep it bold
- Your image has to be designed to look good in different scales
- Localize your image if you offer your app for different languages
Additionally, you should keep in mind that the feature graphic is a promotional image but not an ad. It works rather like a teaser, that should make your game or app more attractive to end-users. (and you will need it to be considered for featuring by Google Play’s editorial team) Although featured images are optional, you should not miss out the opportunity.